Sunday, October 3, 2010

Calling All Girl Scout Alumnae

Princess wanted to join Girl Scouts and the King and I thought it would be a good opportunity for her to meet friends outside of school. Since she's no longer surrounded with cousins she's been lonely. So we went to the meeting, signed up and didn't hear a word. I e-mailed the contact person and she told me that they had over a hundred girls sign up and no room in current troops for them. Parents were not signing up to be leaders. There were 15 Daisy's that needed a troop and nobody was stepping up to the plate as a troop leader. I told her if it meant the difference between the girls getting to participate or not I would do it.

There are some girls out there who may not get a troop. I'm asking that anyone who can to volunteer. You don't have to have a daughter that is in Girl Scouts. You just have to pass a background check for the girls safety. You have the opportunity to show girls where their food really comes from, teach them first aide, take them on nature walks, go bird watching, star gaze and a whole host of things I can't even think of right now.

I remember fondly my weeks at Girl Scout camp. We learned to swim, to light a fire with one match, sang songs, made friends and walked in the woods. My troop during the school year was just a social get together, we had fun but we could have learned so much. I'm excited to think of all the things I'll be able to teach the girls over the years. I know it will be a lot of work but I know it will be worth it!

No comments: